big top

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Altered Bag Swap!


I'm telling you, the YouTube crafting community is so much fun!!  I've always loved to craft and create....but after watching so many inspiring videos on YouTube and learning from so many talented people...I'm definitely creating through new eyes. :)  There's a whole world of paper crafts out there and the levels of art and projects that can be made is seriously endless.  I am trying to play catch-up with my posts here, since my laptop decided to crash and burn on me.  So...although this is being posted today, it actually happened last month.

I joined an altered bag swap!  I mean, really?  All the years of hoarding paper gift bags and pretty paper finally paid off?!  Yep!  Who would have ever thought of altering a bag?  Well...now I do!  I alter bags for albums, pockets...and now for decortive, artistic goodie bags!!  The swap was hosted by Jandsib80 on YouTube.  Her name is Sybil and she couldn't be sweeter or more talented.  She gave us a partner, which was to remain a surprise (of course until we received it in the mail), and we were to make an altered bag filled with atleast 3 crafty goodies.  It was so much fun and here is the bag that I created for my partner.  I filled it with whimsical journalling cards, stickers and more of the beautiful cameo embellishments that you see on the bag I created. 

For the bag, I used a brown gift bag that I had purchased from the Dollar Tree a long time ago.  I cut off the handles and inked all the edges with Walnut Stain distess ink.  Then, I cut the pretty paper you see here, down to size and inked it up with Walnut Stain as well.  I believe this paper is by Authentique.  Under the paper, I placed a Basic Grey magnet (best magnets ever!)  for the closure.  I just created the closure out of kraft cardstock and covered it with the same paper.  I bought the rosette trim from Once Around, a craft store in Mill Valley, CA.  It was the perfect shabby chic addition to my bag. I lined the bottom and closure with it.  The mauve cameo is from a ring I took apart.  It's so lovely...I love it.  The flower cluster you see is made from a Jollee's burlap flower and 3 Recollections flowers I bought at Michael's.  I received the stick pin from a crafty friend in a prior swap and thought it was the perfect finishing touch.  The next picture you see is the back of the bag.  The flap, glued down, forms a pocket and I covered it with some Glitz paper and a Glitz sentiment.  I covered the top portion with some paper that I also bought at Once Around.  I can't remember the brand.  Inside the pocket, I just trimmed a vintage paper bag down to size and stuck 2 flowers on it.  I filled the altered bag with goodies and sent it off to my partner!  It was so fun and I can't wait to alter some more for my craft fairs!!


This is the vintage style bag that I altered for my partner Nurselarelle on YouTube. 

This is the back view. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment